Electrical fire on shuttle at San Diego Botanic Garden extinguished; no one injured

A 12-passenger shuttle providing service to visitors at the San Diego Botanic Garden caught fire at 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 29, according to a spokesperson for the garden.

The cause of the fire, which took place on the road in the South African Garden, has yet to be determined; however, Fire Department personnel indicated that a battery or electrical wiring could be at fault.

There were no passengers on the vehicle at the time. A volunteer driving the shuttle was able to leave the vehicle quickly and was unharmed. He was the only person on the shuttle.

“The immediate response from the Encinitas Fire Department who contained this fire quickly was key to ensuring both the safety of our visitors and the plants in our collection,” said Julian Duval, President and CEO of San Diego Botanic Garden. “We are grateful to our local firefighters who help to keep our community safe.”

The road along the South African Garden will be closed for the rest of the day. Guests can still use the path through the South African Garden to visit all other areas of the Garden.

The Garden remains open and has been determined safe for visitors.