Residents invited to apply for city commissions


Those passionate about the arts, environment, city growth and more have the chance to shape Encinitas’ direction.

The city is taking applications from residents for various city commissions. Besides working on events and causes, the commissions assist and make recommendations to the Encinitas City Council.

The Arts Commission, Environmental Commission, Parks and Recreation Commission and Senior Citizen Commission are seeking three members. The Planning Commission is looking for two members, with the added requirement that applicants live in Cardiff or Old Encinitas.

Likewise, the Traffic and Public Safety Commission needs two members, and applicants must live in Cardiff or Olivenhain.

Commission terms, which start in March, are for three years.

Application forms can be obtained at the city clerk’s office at City Hall, 505 S. Vulcan Ave., by emailing or at

The deadline for commission incumbents to submit their paperwork is 6 p.m. Jan. 29. For everyone else, the deadline is 6 p.m. Feb. 5.

On Feb. 18, applicants are invited to discuss their qualifications for two or three minutes in front of the council. The council is scheduled to make appointments to the various commissions on Feb. 25.

Applicants must be registered voters in Encinitas. Visit for information about the commissions.