What’s going on around Encinitas this weekend and beyond, Aug. 28-Sept. 2
These are just some of the events taking place in and around Encinitas this weekend. For details, visit https://bit.ly/1J8Vvt3:
• Passport to India: 6-10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 28, Encinitas Community Center, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Members: $20/$30 w/dinner, non-members $25/$35 w/dinner. EFA Membership/event $40. Tickets: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1984726.
Encinitas Friends of the Arts invites you to their next “Passport” event, exploring the art and culture of India. Enjoy dinner, art, Rahis Khan and his band, three dance groups, henna, sari wrapping, film, drumming, opportunity drawings, and a DJ and dancing!
• Olivenhain Outdoor Cinema Series: Friday, Aug. 28, 6:15 p.m. food, 7:45 p.m. movie. Olivenhain Town Meeting Hall grounds, 423 Rancho Santa Fe Road. $5. Info: www.olivenhain.org.
Enjoy popcorn and watch the hilarious story of a family on a “road trip” vacation and the zany things that happen, starring Robin Williams. Chubby’s Food Truck arrives at 6:15 p.m.; cotton candy will be for sale until the film starts. Bring blankets and low back chairs.
• Families Making History: Treasure Boxes. Noon-4 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Every weekend, enjoy fun activities with a historical theme. In August, make a keepsake box for your summer treasures. What would the pioneer children have kept in their treasure boxes? Come find out and learn about San Dieguito history.
• Lumberyard Courtyard: Saturday Night Music, 6-9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 29, Saint-Tropez Bistro, 947 S. Coast Highway 101. Free. Info: 760-633-0084.
August thru September, stop by Saint-Tropez Bistro in the Lumberyard Courtyard for delicious food and drink, and soak in the sounds of local musicians. Tonight, hear smooth jazz by Keith Jacobson on saxophone. Check out local art at the Off Track Gallery.
• Dance At Dusk: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 29, Performing Arts Workshop, 681 Encinitas Blvd., #309. Suggested donation $20. Info: https://www.dancepaw.com.
The Performing Arts Workshop presents an event of dance featuring several works by outstanding modern, contemporary and ballet dancers and choreographers. After the performance, enjoy a reception with the performers.
• LeucadiART Walk: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 30, Coast Highway 101 in Leucadia. Free. Info: 760-436-2320.
The event covers a one-mile stretch of Highway 101 from Gold Coast Plaza to Leucadia Post Office. With close to 100 art exhibits in private parking lots, the event features art in all media, a children’s art & music pavilion, a craft beer garden, and six different music locations. With painting demos and interactive art installations.
• Gallery Reception: Jennifer Richards, Marilyn Shayegan. 3-5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 30, Off Track Gallery, 937 S. Coast Highway 101, Suite C-103. Free. Info: 760-942-3636; www.offtrackgallery.com.
Enjoy wine and refreshments and meet oil painter Jennifer and water colorist Marilyn. Enjoy a 10 percent discount on all purchases made on the day of the reception.
• Cornish Street Coffee House Presents: 2-Bit Palomino, 7 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 30, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Cost: $10, $13 at the door.
The 101 Artists’ Colony hosts a night of music that is a mix of folk, country and acoustic. The award-winning Texas-based band 2-Bit Palomino is on a west coast tour. With special guest artist Darius Degher.
• La Paloma Theatre, 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $10, $9 (cash only). Call 760-436-SHOW (7469).
Now showing: “Amy,” “Love and Mercy,” “Awake: The Life of Yogananda,” Friday midnight movie, “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
• JFS Coastal Club, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 1, Temple Solel, 3575 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Activities free, lunch $7. Reserve for lunch by noon Monday, Aug. 31, to 858-674-1123. Info: https://bit.ly/1DIZPKo.
JFS Coastal Club. Seniors 60-plus, choose from several different activities starting at 10 a.m. with Flexibility and Fitness Yoga with Danyll; 11 a.m., an informative speaker. A healthy lunch is served at noon, and at 1 p.m. see a film.
• Tuesday Movie: 4-6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 1, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Contact library for title: 760-753-7376.
Contact library for title.
• Wednesdays@Noon: Concert, noon-12:45 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 2, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-633-2746.
Call library for info; visit www.Encinitasca.gov/WedNoon.
• Teen Movie and Pizza, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 2, Cardiff Library, 2081 Newcastle Ave., Cardiff. Free. Info: 760-753-4027 or https://www.sdcl.org/locations_CD.html.
Come on out for a brilliant and fun movie experience! Sign up in advance, so we know how much pizza to order. Call for movie title.