What’s going on in and around Encinitas
For more on these events, visit https://bit.ly/16cvgmJ.
• Ballet Folklorico de San Dieguito: 1-2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19, for grades 2-6. Ocean Knoll Elementary School, 910 Melba Road, Encinitas. Also 1-2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19, for grades 2-6 at Ocean Knoll Elementary School, 910 Melba Road, Encinitas; and 2:30-3:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19 for grades 7-8 and 3:30-4:30 p.m. for grades 9-12 at Encinitas Community Center dance studio, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive, Encinitas. Cost: $5 (scholarships available) Info: 619-446-7283 or 760-633-2746.
Learn the traditional dances of Mexico in this new program that develops skills and talent, and is fun! No experience necessary. Instructor: Nadia Arambula.
• Lagoon Platoon: 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Dec. 20, San Elijo Lagoon, 2710 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Free.
Fall is native planting season! Join volunteers to work behind-the-scenes to improve native habitats at San Elijo Lagoon. Nature tour included.
• Holiday Guided Walk, 10-11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 20, San Elijo Lagoon, 2710 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Free.
Winter shorebirds are here to spend the season, many of which come from the high Arctic. Enjoy the fragrance of sages described along the way, and see the native red “holly” berries of Toyon, offering a splash of color on the hills.
• Composting Workshop: 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, Dec. 20, Ocean Knoll Educational Farm, 701 Bonita Drive, Encinitas. Free.
Learn how to make rich, organic soil amendments in your own back yard through traditional and worm composting methods taught by expert staff from Solana Center.
• The Poinsettia: noon-4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Every weekend, enjoy fun activities that revolve around a historical theme. Ever wonder how the poinsettia came to be known as the Christmas flower? Learn about the Ecke Ranch and how the Ecke family made the poinsettia a Christmas icon all over the world! We’ll create holiday decorations. Suitable for all ages.
• Big Screen Movie Matinee: 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 20, Cardiff Library, 2081 Newcastle Ave., Cardiff. Free. Call 760-753-4027.
Come to the Community Room and enjoy a delightful family movie on the big screen! (Call for film info.)
• Encinitas Ballet: The Nutcracker: 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 20, Thompson Performing Arts Center, 1 Maverick Way, Carlsbad. Tickets: $25, $20. Call 760- 632-4947.
Candy canes leap through the air, giant mice battle toy soldiers, snowflakes dance and the Nutcracker transforms into a handsome prince, with music by Tchaikovsky in this cherished ballet. Directed and choreographed by Sayat Asatryan and Olga Tchekachova.
• Christmas Vespers Concert: Handel’s Messiah: 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 21, San Dieguito United Methodist Church, 170 Calle Magdalena, Encinitas. Freewill offering. Call 760-753-6582.
The monumental oratorio will be performed by soloists Kelley Hart, Janelle DeStefano, Kyle Malone, and Michael Blinco, the Chancel Choir and orchestra. William Hatcher conducts.
• La Paloma Theatre: 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $9, $7. Call: 760-436-SHOW (7469).
“Gone Girl,” “Awake: The Life of Yogananda,” and Friday Midnight Movie: “Rocky Horror Picture Show”