What’s going on around Encinitas this weekend and beyond, Oct. 1-7
These are just some of the events taking place in and around Encinitas this weekend. For details, visit https://bit.ly/1KD3zmF:
• Foreign Film: “Of Gods and Men,” 1-3 p.m. Friday, Oct. 2, San Elijo campus of MiraCosta College, 3333 Manchester Ave., Cardiff, room 204. Info: email@example.com.
Loosely based on the life of the Cistercian monks of Tibhirine in Algeria, from 1993 until their kidnapping in 1996, it tells a story of eight French Christian monks who live in harmony with their Muslim neighbors. Their peaceful routine is threatened by an Islamic fundamentalist group. French w/ English subtitles.
• Orchid Clinic: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 3, San Diego Botanic Garden, 230 Quail Gardens Drive. Free to the public. Info: https://www.sdbgarden.org/orchid.htm.
Four education sessions, each presented by local expert orchid growers, will impart valuable, easy to use information on how to select, grow and care for orchids. Vendors will be on hand selling orchids and available to answer your questions.
• Composting Workshop: Saturday, October 3, 10 am-noon. Sunshine Gardens Nursery, 155 Quail Gardens Drive. Free. Info: https://www.solanacenter.org/free-compost-workshops.
Learn the basics of traditional composting and vermicomposting (composting with worms). What composting is and why it’s so important to do, what tools and materials you’ll need, which items are or are not compostable, how to harvest and use your compost.
• Healing Arts Class: 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 3, Scripps Memorial Hospital, Brain Injury Treatment Room, 354 Santa Fe Drive. Free. Info: 760-633-6709.
For those recovering from brain injuries and/or neurological challenges. Enjoy self-expression through art, increase skills, improve eye/hand coordination and enjoy the warmth and support of the talented facilitator, Kathy Harvey. Supplies provided.
• Families Making History: Noon-4 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Every weekend, enjoy fun activities that revolve around a historical theme.
• Encinitas Community Garden Grand Opening: 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 3, 441 Quail Gardens Drive. Info: https://www.encinitascommunitygarden.org.
Join in the celebration of this long-awaited garden site that will provide individuals and families with their own plot of land to grow healthy organic vegetables and plants. Plots are available, apply here.
• San Elijo Lagoon: Not-So-Scary Estuary: 1-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 3 and 4, San Elijo Lagoon Nature Center, 2710 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Free. Info: https://www.sanelijo.org/welcome-san-elijo-lagoon-conservancy.
Meet creepy, crawly, and hooting animals in Halloween style at San Elijo Lagoon. Costumes are encouraged. Kids can trick-or-treat along the “Haunted Hike” nature trail, where clues help families look and listen for resident wildlife.
• Purple Pig Western Shindig: 3:30-10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 3, Encinitas Elks Lodge, 1393 Windsor Road; tickets $25. Tickets: https://elkscharityshindig.ticketleap.com.
Get out your best duds for this fundraiser with a Western theme! Your donations will go toward paying for much-needed therapies for children in need. Enjoy a silent auction, dinner, and a performance from Willie Nelson tribute band Left Coast Willie.
• Sukhot Harvest Festival: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 4, Leichtag Foundation property, 450 Quail Gardens Drive. Free. Reserve to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sukkot-harvest-festival-tickets-18099603401.
Featuring the Hazon Jewish Food Festival from noon-2 p.m. with chef demos, pickling stations, homebrewing, farm animals and hands-on art. Assemble at 2:30 p.m., a world-premiere performance inspired by the ancient harvest ritual Hakhel; and at 3:30 p.m. Israeli master guitarist Yonatan Gat will perform. See the sukkah designed by New School of Architecture + Design.
• First Sunday Music Series: Singchronicity, 2-3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 4, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Info: https://encinitaslibfriends.org/Events18.php.
A versatile and fun-loving a cappella group, Singchronicity performs everything from jazz to pop to gospel. Hear what happens when you strip away the instruments and let the human voice create the rhythm and harmony.
• Meet WWII Legend Colonel Caswell, 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 4, Del Mar Hilton, 15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd. Free. Info: https://www.calegionpost416.org.
American Legion San Dieguito Post 416 and the Del Mar Hilton present a once-in-a-lifetime speaking engagement with WWII flying ace and former Blue Angel, Col. Dean Caswell. In support of the “Save Our Legion” campaign, all veterans will be honored. Meet a “Living Hero” and hear amazing war stories!
• La Paloma Theatre, 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $10, $9 (cash only). Call 760-436-SHOW (7469).
Now showing: “Phoenix,” “Meru,” Friday midnight movie: “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
• JFS Coastal Club, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 6, Temple Solel, 3575 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Activities free, lunch $7. Reserve for lunch by noon Monday, Oct. 5, to 858-674-1123. Info: https://bit.ly/1DIZPKo.
JFS Coastal Club. Seniors 60-plus, choose from several activities starting at 10 a.m., Fit and Flexible with Silver Age Yoga instructor Danyll Monroe; 11 a.m., “Where Were You When?” Relive the events that changed our lives. Using video and radio clips, we’ll take a look and listen to the most unforgettable moments in history and share our memories and reactions. A healthy lunch is served at noon, and at 1 p.m. see the film “McFarland USA” (2015, 129 minutes). Track coach Jim White’s (Kevin Costner) search for work leads him to a high school in California’s Central Valley with a largely Latino student body. After White and his determined athletes establish a bond of trust, remarkable achievements are on the horizon.
• Tuesday Movie: 4-6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 6, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Info: https://bit.ly/1EqwxGF or call 760-753-7376.
See movies ranging from big new releases to old-school classics with something for everyone. Call library for titles.
• Wednesdays@Noon: Concert, noon-12:45 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 7, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-633-2746; visit www.Encinitasca.gov/WedNoon.
Call library for info; visit www.Encinitasca.gov/WedNoon.