What’s going on around Encinitas this weekend and beyond, Sept. 25-30
These are just some of the events taking place in and around Encinitas this weekend. For details, visit https://bit.ly/1KkdjlR:
• Beach Art with Andres Amador: noon-2:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 25, on the sand below Cardiff State Beach parking lot, Coast Highway 101. Free. Register/Info: https://www.andresamadorarts.com. Also, 6-9 p.m., Bliss Gallery Exhibition Opening, 553 S. Coast Highway 101. Free. Info: https://store.bliss101.com/Home_c_9.html.
Be part of a collective effort to create a huge artwork together. Earthscape artist Andres Amador will offer guidance in creating a large group piece. At the end of the session, a drone will photograph the results.
• Lecture: How the San Diego Region Prepared for the Drought: 1-3 p.m. Friday, Sept. 25, San Elijo Campus, MiraCosta College, 3333 Manchester Ave. Room 201, Cardiff. Free; parking $1. Info: email email@example.com.
The San Diego Water Authority will address the current drought conditions, local water supplies, and what we can do to save water every day, every way.
• Garden Friendly Plant Fair and Sale: 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, Sept. 26, Encinitas Home Depot, 1001 N. El Camino Real. Free. Info: https://www.watersmartsd.org/programs/garden-friendly-plant-fairs.
Join local water agencies SDWD and OMWD for a fun, festive morning. Get great deals on water-wise plants, talk to landscape experts about your yard, and learn about free programs and giveaways available from your water district. There will be music, food and activities for children.
• Lecture: Who Wins the Battle Between Human & Robo-Investment Advisers? 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-753-7376.
The proliferation of automated investment management services has created a lively debate in the investment community related to the relative merits of human- and machine- generated investment guidance. In this lecture, we look at the pros and cons of each approach.
• Seventh annual Lima Bean Cookoff and Faire: noon-4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive. Free. Tastings $15 advance, $20 at the door, $5 under 12. Info: https://www.sdheritage.org.
Local chefs, both amateur and professional, compete for prizes with astoundingly creative dishes. Come early to taste all the entries from 12:30-2:30 p.m. Music, hot dogs, root beer, plant sale, bake sale, silent auction, a beer booth, a 4-H Petting Zoo, children’s crafts.
• Opening Reception, Kirsten Francis: 1-4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, Encinitas Community Center Gallery, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Free.
“A Thousand Cuts. Mixed Media.” See figurative works created by cutting out and combining original drawings and images ranging from magazine photographs to vintage bird illustrations. Meet Francis and enjoy refreshments.
• Opening Reception, Momilani Ramstrum: 1-4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, Encinitas Library Gallery, 540 Cornish Drive. Free.
“Color Conversations. Watercolor, Mixed Media.” Ramstrum’s visual art is influenced by musical improvisation with the interplay of lines creating dissonance and resolving into consonance. She creates many layered-textures, enlivened by contrasting sections and varied forms. Meet the artist and enjoy refreshments.
• Stars in the Park Movie: Disney’s “Monkey Kingdom”: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, Cottonwood Creek Park, 95 N. Vulcan Ave. Free. Call 760-633-2760.
A nature documentary that follows a newborn monkey and its mother as they struggle to survive within the ancient ruins found deep in the jungles of South Asia. Bring blankets and low-back chairs. Come early to get a good spot and enjoy your own picnic dinner.
• San Diego Italian Film Festival’s North County Festa! 5-8 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 27, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. $15, $25. Info/Tickets: https://www.sandiegoitalianfilmfestival.com/event/north-county-festa.
Celebrate North County with great food, music and friends. Featuring food by Tarantino Italian Sausages and Yummy Cupcakes, wine by Witch Creek Winery and music by Justin Froese and Tim McNalley. The short film “Belly Button Broth” will also be screened and attendees will get a sneak peek at this fall’s feStivale line up.
• La Paloma Theatre, 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $10, $9 (cash only). Call 760-436-SHOW (7469).
Now showing: “Irrational Man,” “Meru,” Friday midnight movie: “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
• JFS Coastal Club, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 29, Temple Solel, 3575 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Activities free, lunch $7. Reserve for lunch by noon Monday, Sept. 28, to 858-674-1123. Info: https://bit.ly/1DIZPKo.
JFS Coastal Club. Seniors 60-plus, choose from several different activities starting at 10 a.m., Fit and Flexible with Silver Age Yoga instructor Danyll Monroe; 11 a.m., “Super Foods You Should Have in Your Kitchen” with nutrition expert Brenda Vidrio Sillas. Learn about “super foods” that will help you get the vitamins and minerals you need while maintaining a healthy weight; a healthy lunch is served at noon, and at 1 p.m. see the film “Deli Man,” a charming documentary that celebrates Jewish delicatessens and their place in Jewish history.
• Tuesday Movie: 4-6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 29, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Info: https://bit.ly/1EqwxGF or call 760-753-7376.
See movies ranging from big new releases to old-school classics with something for everyone. Call library for titles.
• Play: “Hedda Gabler,” by Henrik Ibsen, Monday, Sept. 28; 6:30 p.m., appetizer reception, 7 p.m., play. Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Tickets: $15. RSVP required, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 760-295-7541. Info: https://bit.ly/1KV2ofE.
Hedda Gabler has returned from an extended honeymoon with her kind but tediously academic husband. Beautiful, self-possessed and also haunted, she is already bored with marriage.
• STEM and MAGIC! 4 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 29, Cardiff Library, 2081 Newcastle Ave. Free. Info: 760-753-4027 or https://bit.ly/1Et1vOV.
Enjoy this combination of Science, Technology, Magic, and fun!
• Fraud and Scam Awareness Presentation: 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 29, Encinitas Community & Senior Center, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Free. Info: 760-633-2250.
This presentation by the San Diego Sheriff’s Dept. North County Coastal Command Crime Prevention Unit will educate you on scam and fraud awareness. Topics will include types of scams, nine signs of scams, not becoming a victim, reporting a scam, resources, websites, and more.
• Wednesdays@Noon: Young Artists Competition Winners, noon-12:45 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 30, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-633-2746; visit www.Encinitasca.gov/WedNoon.
La Jolla Symphony and Chorus presents three of their 10 winners for 2015. The competition provides talented young artists an opportunity to earn prestige, solo with the La Jolla Symphony & Chorus, and earn cash prizes. They will perform works from the standard repertoire. Info: https://bit.ly/1Q0YYN1.
• Fall Craft, 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 30, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Info: https://bit.ly/1EqwxGF, 760-753-7376.
Learn how to make a tree decorated with beautiful fall colors.