What’s going on around Encinitas this weekend and beyond
These are just some of the events taking place in and around Encinitas this weekend. For details, visit https://bit.ly/1DjbuR4.
• Acrylic Painting with Barbara Roth; noon-3 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 12, 19, 26, March 5; San Marcos area. Cost: $100 plus $15 supply fee; Kate O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete one 8-inch-by-10-inch painting in each meeting of this four-session workshop. Techniques that will be demonstrated include creating depth, designing a captivating composition, glazing and adding texture, and using the color wheel. Bring supplies or buy them from the teacher for a $15 supply fee.
• Super Smash Bros. Tournament, 4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 12, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive; free; 760-753-7376.
Pick your favorite character and brawl it out; only one will be crowned Champion. First prize wins a $100 gift card!
• Love Your Heart: Blood Pressure Screenings, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 13, Encinitas Community & Senior Center, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Free. Call 760-943-2250.
“Share the Love” by giving the gift of a healthy heart to yourself and your loved ones.
• Shishi on the Farm, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 13, Farm House Kitchen at The Ranch, 441 Saxony Road, Encinitas; $5 donation. Reserve to www.tarbuton.org.
Cook and bake together, meet someone new and enjoy Israeli culture over tea with Nana or a cup of Aroma Coffee. We will see the film One Night With The King ( the story of Purim). We will bake Hamentashen with unique and different fillings inspired by Spain, Russia and the Middle East.
• African Americans in Thoroughbred Racing: Stories of America’s First Star Athletes with Ross Moore. 1 p.m. Friday, Feb. 13, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-753-7376.
Tracing origins to West Africa, learn about the rise of slave grooms and trainers, and then slave jockeys in the time of George Washington. Discover the jockeys who dominated the early Kentucky Derbies.
• Family Concert, The Hutchins Consort: Aloha Means Love; 11 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 14, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free; www.HutchinsConsort.org.
The Consort is joined by Hawaiian Kahrooner Matthew Akiona in a celebration of Valentine’s Day.
• Arts Alive Banner Unveiling, noon-3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 14, at the former Cabo Grill Restaurant, 1950 N. Coast Highway at La Costa Avenue, Leucadia. Free; www.artsaliveencinitas.com.
Meet the artists and view the street banners that will be on Coast Hwy 101 this spring-99 original artworks comprise the 6 mile exhibit. Bid on your favorites! Refreshments will be served.
• Hands-on Activities for Families: Mosaic Art. Noon-4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive; free; www.SDHeritage.org, 760-632-9711.
Beans played a central role in the history of Encinitas, and many of the first families to arrive here were following dreams of agriculture. Learn more about our history while letting your inner bean-tastic artist free!
• LEGO Robotics Club, 2:30 p.m. Saturdays, Feb. 14 and 28, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-753-7376, ext. 03.
Join us for an hour of exploration every second and fourth Saturday. Learn programming by solving a different challenge each meeting. Program is open to ages 11-17. No experience required.
• The Peter Pupping Quartet Valentine’s Concert, 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 14, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Tickets: $25; https://www.guitarsounds.com/peter-pupping-band-valentine-concert-feb-14.html.
Featuring many forms of Latin music, ranging from tender melodies to exciting rhythmic dances. The band will also perform hit songs by contemporary artists like Jack Johnson, James Taylor, the Beatles and more acoustic classics. The concert will explore a range of love songs and music that will make you want to dance.
• Tree Pruning Workshop at Ocean Knoll Farm, 9-11 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 15, Ocean Knoll Educational Farm, 701 Bonita Drive. Free.
Prepare your fruit trees for abundance and health with basic tree care and pruning instruction by Leichtag’s Yasha Magarik.
• California 10/20 Race, 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 15, Del Mar Race Track, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar. Cost: $85; www.cal1020.com.
With 20 live bands along the ten mile coastal race course in North San Diego County through Del Mar, Solana Beach and Encinitas. The race will start and finish at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. A generous prize money purse is up for grabs. Walkers and wheelchairs are welcome.
• Demos and Dialogue Workshop: Angela Jackson, 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 15, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. RSVP required; call 760-753-7376, ext. 03.
Creating an Abstract Ocean Textural Artwork. Jackson uses paint, bee’s wax, texture mediums, and sanding techniques to create atmospheric paintings of the sea. Materials list at https://sandieguitoartguildprograms.yolasite.com.
• La Paloma Theatre, 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $9, $7. Call 760-436-SHOW (7469).
“Birdman,” “Awake: The Life of Yogananda,” Friday Midnight Movie: “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”