What’s going on in and around Encinitas
• Garden of Lights: 5-9 p.m. Dec. 12-23 and 26-30, San Diego Botanic Garden, 230 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Members $8. Seniors, active military and students $10. Non-members $14. Children ages 3-12, $6.
The Garden is transformed into a dazzling winter wonderland with more than 100,000 sparkling lights for a magical holiday experience! With horse-drawn wagon rides, holiday crafts, marshmallow roasting, live music, hot mulled wine (on select nights) and visits with Santa.
• Screenprinting with Toshwerks: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 15, Lux Art Institute, 1550 S. El Camino Real, Encinitas. Cost: members $100, non-members $125.
For ages 13+. Learn the hands-on process of design and screenprinting from visiting artists from Toshwerks. Then, roll up your sleeves and print your very own greeting card. Online registration required at www.luxartinstitute.org.
• Artist’s Talk: 6-7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 12, Lux Art Institute, 1550 S. El Camino Real, Encinitas. Free.
Jenessa Goodman’s work employs textures and geometry from nature. She finds images in dreams and archetypal mythology, and studies plants, colors, and patterns of human movement. Her work will be on exhibit in the Lux Art Institute Linda Formo Brandes Gallery of the Education Pavilion through Dec. 15.
• Open House: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, Lux Art Institute, 1550 S. El Camino Real, Encinitas.
Enjoy free admission all day! Lux will have free studio tours of Ann Weber’s larger-than-life sculptures, live music, refreshments, guided tours, and a hands-on art workshop that make this a day at Lux not to be missed! For families with children ages 3+.
• Ballet Folklorico de San Dieguito: 1-2 p.m. Fridays, Dec. 12, 19, for grades 2-6. Ocean Knoll Elementary School, 910 Melba Road, Encinitas. Also 1-2 p.m. Fridays, Dec. 12, 19, for grades 2-6 at Ocean Knoll Elementary School, 910 Melba Road, Encinitas; and 2:30-3:30 p.m. Fridays, Dec. 12, 19 for grades 7-8 and 3:30-4:30 p.m. for grades 9-12 at Encinitas Community Center dance studio, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive, Encinitas. Cost: $5 (scholarships available) Info: 619-446-7283 or 760-633-2746.
Learn the traditional dances of Mexico in this new program that develops skills and talent, and is fun! No experience necessary. Instructor: Nadia Arambula.
• “Vision — From the Life of Hildegard von Bingen”: 1-3 p.m. Friday, Dec. 12, San Elijo Campus, MiraCosta College, Room 204, 3333 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Free.
An inspirational portrait of the famed 12th-century nun — a famed mystic and composer as well as a multi-faceted pioneer. Written and directed by Margarethe von Trotta. (Germany 2009, 110 min) German with English subtitles.
• Book Nook Holiday Sale: 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, Cardiff Library, 2081 Newcastle Ave., Cardiff. Free. Info: 760-753-4027.
The Friends of the Library are having a massive holiday book sale with special homemade baked goods, coffee and tea, water and juice, and all books (including collectibles) half off the marked price.
• Holiday Music Show with Craig Newton: 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, Cardiff Library, 2081 Newcastle Ave., Cardiff. Free. Call 760-753-4027.
Come embrace the holiday spirit with a high-energy, fun, musical program ideal for kids, and parents, too.
• Prodigy Players: “Ho Ho Ho! The Santa Claus Chronicles”: 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free.
Go behind the scenes with host Yule Tide during Santa’s busiest time of the year. Meet Jolly Ole Saint Nick, his hysterical Reindeer Elves, the sneaky Mrs. Claus, and some North Pole personalities in this comedy for all ages. Holiday songs and dances will warm your heart.
• The Poinsettia: noon-4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Every weekend, enjoy fun activities that revolve around a historical theme. Ever wonder how the poinsettia came to be known as the Christmas flower? Learn about the Ecke Ranch and how the Ecke family made the poinsettia a Christmas icon all over the world! We’ll create holiday decorations. Suitable for all ages.
• Opening Reception: FIG Art Group, “Beyond the Landscape”: 1-4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, Encinitas Community Center Gallery, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Free. Call 760-943-2260.
Landscape painters face critical issues about the environment, climate change, population growth, and political unrest. Our views of what are the important elements that represent the landscape are altered. FIG artists have taken on this subject and present a range of traditional and innovative approaches to viewing the land. Meet the artists and enjoy a wine and appetizer reception.
• North Coast Symphony, Holiday Cabaret: 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, Encinitas Community Center, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Tickets at the door: $10, $8, $25/family max. Call 760-943-2260.
With Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker Suite,” “A Christmas Portrait,” and “Sleigh Ride.” Come hear “’Twas the Night Before Christmas,” narrated by bass soloist Ken Bell, who will sing “There’s Christmas in the Air” and lead the audience in a carol sing-along. Table seating for your picnic (no alcohol, please), or refreshments will be available.
• “Santaland Diaries”: 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, wine and appetizer reception, 6 p.m. play; Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Tickets: $15, RSVP to 888-71-TICKETS.
One performance only! An outrageously funny one- man play (from humorist David Sedaris) about his experiences as an unemployed actor/writer taking a job as an elf at Macy’s in New York City. Sedaris’ sharp and hilarious observations have created a delightful adult cult classic. Starring Daren Scott with the Intrepid Shakespeare Company. With holiday-themed adult beverages. Mature themes. Ages 16+.
• “Nutcracker” Excerpt and Dance Winter Showcase: 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 14, Magdalena Ecke YMCA, 211 Saxony Road, Encinitas. Tickets: priority $10/$8, general $5/$3.
Come see this exciting holiday dance performance. Dancers of all ages performing with holiday cheer.
• Virtuosi Concert: Holidays with Brahms and Grieg: 7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 14, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Tickets: $25, $21 online, or at the door. Call 858-207-6967.
Featuring concertmaster of the New York Philharmonic violinist Glenn Dicterow; USC Thornton School of Music pianist Kevin Fitz-Gerald; former Los Angeles Philharmonic cellist Ronald Leonard; Juilliard School of Music violist Karen Dreyfus; and violinist Pasha Tseitlin. They will perform music by Korngold, Grieg and Brahms.
• La Paloma Theatre: 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $9, $7. Call: 760-436-SHOW (7469).
“Awake: The Life of Yogananda,” and Friday Midnight Movie: “Rocky Horror Picture Show”