What’s happening in and around Encinitas this weekend
For more details on events, visit this website.
• LIFE Discussion: Geologic Excursion to Mongolia; 1 p.m. Friday, Jan. 23, Room 201, San Elijo Campus, MiraCosta College, 3333 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Free.
Geology Professor Chris Metzler will show slides and talk about his trip to Mongolia, focusing on the geologic features of that region.
• Music by the Sea: Elisabetta Russo, Karin Mushegain, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 23, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Call 760-633-2746. Cost: $13. Tickets in advance or at the door.
Soprano Elisabetta Russo and mezzo Karin Mushegain will perform duets from Mozart’s “Così fan tutte” and Delibes’ “Flower” duet from “Lakmé”; as well as solo songs and arias by Debussy, Paolo Tosti, Lizst, Rossini, Satie, Poulenc and Grieg. Pre-concert wine reception.
• Wellness Week: Saturday, Jan. 24 through Saturday, Jan. 31. Various downtown Encinitas locations. Most events free. Call 760-943-1950.
The week-long program of events and special offers, sponsored by the Encinitas 101 MainStreet Association, helps people learn about and experience ways to improve their physical, mental and spiritual well-being. Take advantage of numerous free classes, treatments, consultations and presentations. Opening day at the Encinitas Library from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. features dozens of exhibitors offering everything from free health screenings and acupuncture treatments to cooking demonstrations and kids’ activities.
• Families Making History Together: Soap Making; noon-4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Every weekend, enjoy fun activities that revolve around a historical theme. In January, get ready for spring cleaning by making your own soap. Before modern conveniences, homesteaders had to make soap out of animal fat, wood ashes, and water over a large kettle. Make your own modern-day glycerin soap!
• LEGO Robotics Club, 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 24, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-753-7376, ext. 03.
NEW! Join in an hour of exploration (every second and fourth Saturday). Learn programming by solving a different challenge each meeting. Program is open to tweens and teens ages 11-17. No experience required.
• Opening Reception: David Wiemers, “I Dare You Not To Smile.” 1-4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 24, Encinitas Community Center Gallery, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Free. Call 760-943-2260.
Oil, mixed media on canvas and aluminum. The series of masterful portraits of famous people are full or wit and humor. Meet the artist and enjoy refreshments. On view thru March 20.
• Wings Over Wetlands, 1-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 24-25, San Elijo Lagoon Nature Center, 2710 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Free.
Celebrate the arrival of our feathered friends during winter bird migration. Bird-themed crafts, live raptor presentations, face painting, and nature activities are planned for families. Kids will enjoy learning about bird migrations and how to recognize common birds.
• Villa Musica Community Ensembles Concert. 7 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 24, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Recommended donation: $10.
Enjoy an evening of musical delights, presented by community ensembles The Classical Guitar Ensemble, The Flute Ensemble, The Community Chorus, The Jazz Ensemble, and special guests The Classical Junior Guitar Ensemble. Reception following.
• Opening Reception: Hope Made Visible International, noon-2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 25, Front Porch Gallery, 2903 Carlsbad Blvd., Carlsbad. Free. Call 858-735-5708.
An uplifting and moving installation of 1,000 prayer flags created by cancer patients and their families, friends and caregivers along the healing journey. Meet the artists and enjoy live music and refreshments. Sponsored by the San Diego Cancer Research Institute.
• Poetry in Music, Music in Poetry: 1 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 25, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-753-7376, ext. 03.
Music and poetry ranging from Shakespeare to Kerouac. In the tradition of the classical art song, the chamber jazz duo Primal Mates combines text by writers and poets with voice, cello and vibraphone for a unique listening experience.
• CabaretCaccia: “Ella,” Danny Weller Quintet and Rebecca Jade. 7 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 25, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Tickets: $20, $10 (in advance), or $22, $15 at the door.
The 2015 cabaret season begins with classic jazz, a program celebrating the songs of Ella Fitzgerald. Enjoy free wine, candlelight, chocolates and table seating.
• La Paloma Theatre, 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets are $9, $7. For show times, call 760-436-SHOW (7469).
“The Interview,” “Nightcrawler,” “Awake: The Life of Yogananda,” Friday midnight movie, “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”