What’s going on in and around Encinitas
• Gingerbread Boy Puppet Show, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, Cardiff Library, 2081 Newcastle Ave., Cardiff. Free. Call 760-753-4027.
Celebrate the holidays with the annual Gingerbread Puppet Show. Everyone receives their own gingerbread cookie and there will also be a very special guest from the North Pole!
• Families Making History Together: The Poinsettia, noon-4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Ever wonder how the poinsettia came to be known as the Christmas flower? Learn about the Ecke Ranch and how the Ecke family made the poinsettia a Christmas icon all over the world! Holiday decorations, suitable for all ages, will be created.
• Encinitas Holiday Parade: Droppin’ In for the Holidays, 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, Coast Highway 101 between D and J streets, Encinitas. Free.
Celebrating Encinitas’ reputation as a mecca for Action Sports with big name surfers, skateboarders and snowboarders. Grand Marshals John and Pete Najjar, owners of Cardiff Seaside Market, will lead the nearly 100 entries down the parade route. Dress warmly. Free parking shuttle available.
• Garden of Lights, 5-9 p.m. Dec. 6-23 and 26-30, San Diego Botanic Garden, 230 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Members $8. Seniors, active military and students $10. Non-members $14. Children ages 3-12, $6.
The Garden is transformed into a dazzling winter wonderland with more than 100,000 sparkling lights for a magical holiday experience! With horse-drawn wagon rides, holiday crafts, marshmallow roasting, live music, hot mulled wine (on select nights) and visits with Santa.
• Vintage Faire for Holiday Shopping, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Ideal for distinctive holiday gifts. Many vendors and crafters will set up shop, offering antiques, collectibles and other handmade treasures. Flower booths will be filled with locally grown plants and flowers. Plus live music, kids’ craft area, gourmet food trucks, and a photo area perfect for a unique family holiday card.
• Cardiff Kringle Mingle, 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, Cardiff Town Center, North Courtyard, 2031 San Elijo Ave., Cardiff. Free.
A special holiday celebration for the entire community. Enjoy a variety of engaging musical performances throughout the afternoon, yummy treats from local restaurants, a festive holiday scene complete with a decorated tree and a photo op with Santa.
• Coastal Communities Concert Band Holiday Concert, 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, Carlsbad Community Church, 3175 Harding St., Carlsbad. Tickets $20, $15. Call 760-736-9900.
The 75-member Encinitas-based band, conducted by Tom Cole, will perform festive holiday music to get you in the spirit with guest soloist Michael Ruhl. Proceeds benefit Meals-on-Wheels.
• First Sunday Music Series: STAGE 4, 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, Encinitas Library Gallery, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-753-7376.
A dynamic show and dance band that has delighted audiences for years. Join the community for an afternoon of contemporary jazz, R&B, old-school and classic favorites.
• Off Track Gallery December Reception, 3:30-6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, Off Track Gallery, 937 S. Coast Highway 101, Suite C-103, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-942-3636.
Featuring artworks that are 12 inches or smaller — perfect for holiday giving. Enjoy appetizers, wine, a festive atmosphere and the Small Image Show awards. A check will be presented to Stardust Arts, a youth art program that provides children with skills in visual art.
• Solar Energy Workshop, 4-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, Solana Center, 137 N. El Camino Real, Encinitas. Cost: $10.
As part of our Green Living Series, come for an hourlong workshop on Residential Solar Energy, taught by Mike Davidson, founder/general manager of San Diego County Solar.
• North Coast Singers: Music for a Winter’s Eve, 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, San Dieguito United Methodist Church, 170 Calle Magdalena, Encinitas. Tickets: $12, $5 at the door.
Enjoy beautiful holiday music from around the world for the entire family. Featuring Giocoso, Brioso, Caprice, Capella youth ensembles with singers from 8 to 18.
• La Paloma Theatre, 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $9, $7. For show times, call 760-436-SHOW (7469).
“Awake: The Life of Yogananda” and Friday midnight movie, “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”