What’s going on around Encinitas this weekend and beyond
These are just some of the events taking place in and around Encinitas this weekend. For details, visit https://bit.ly/1F4SKEV.
• Blue Star Museum Program: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, now through Labor Day, Sept. 7. Free admission for active-duty military and up to five immediate family members. Info: https://www.sdbgarden.org/military-specials.htm.
The San Diego Botanic Garden is proud to participate in the Blue Star Museum program, offering free admission to all active-duty, National Guard and Reserve members of the U.S. military and their families (card carrier plus five immediate family members).
• iPalpiti Festival, July 9-18; contact Jim Gilliam, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 760-633-2746.
For 2 weeks this July, Encinitas welcomes 25 award-winning young musicians from 20 countries who will make this their summer home as they prepare and present six glorious concerts in town. For the first time, the iPalpiti Orchestra will perform a free concert at the San Dieguito Academy Amphitheater on July 18.
Please help us raise the much-needed funds to make the festival a success. A donor will match, dollar-for-dollar, your contribution. Donate at https://www.ipalpiti.org/contribute/give-now (write “Encinitas” in the comment section.) Thank you!
• Musical: “Mary Poppins”: 7 p.m. May 27-30, June 4-6; 2 p.m. May 30, Liggett Theater, San Dieguito Academy, 800 Santa Fe Drive. Cost: $15, $8 (students). Call 760-753-1121, ext. 5156.
Winner of 44 theater awards, “Mary Poppins” has dazzled audiences with its timeless songs and whimsical dance numbers about the Banks family and their magical nanny.
• Thursday Family Fun Night: Hullabaloo Band, 4:30-8 p.m. Thursdays, May 28-Aug. 7, San Diego Botanic Garden, 230 Quail Gardens Drive. Free with paid admission/membership. Info: https://www.sdbgarden.org/thursnights.htm.
Families are invited to pack up the kids and enjoy some outdoor fun in the Hamilton Children’s Garden. Live, kid-friendly entertainment is provided from 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday night. San Diego favorite Hullabaloo performs.
• Rummage Sale, 7 a.m.-noon Saturday, May 30, San Dieguito Academy, 800 Santa Fe Drive. Free. Info: https://sdafoundation.com/category/council-events-fundraisers.
Clean out your closets and help support the clubs and teams at our local high school through this rummage sale sponsored by the San Dieguito Academy Foundation. Early Bird Drop off from 6-9 p.m. Friday, May 29.
• Families Making History Together: Peanut Butter Bird Feeders. Noon-4 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Calling all bird lovers! This month, create popsicle stick bird feeders and help keep our feathered friends fed and happy. Teaching children to appreciate all the wildlife San Dieguito has to offer, while having a blast getting our hands dirty too.
• Junior Ballet Ensemble: 2-3:30 p.m. Saturday, May 30, Performing Arts Workshop, 681 Encinitas Blvd., Suite 309. Free. Call 760-753-2671.
A showcase of dance from the upcoming Spring performance. A great opportunity for people of all ages to see dance in an informal setting and chat with the dancers after the show. Refreshments will be served.
• IMAGOmoves, Strings Attached: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, May 30, and 2 p.m. Sunday, May 31, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Cost: $20; students $10; 18 and under free. Tickets: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1587628.
Two new contemporary dance works explore two different approaches to collaborating, with violinist Pierre Joubert playing baroque music, and Kris Apple creating contemporary sonic worlds, layering multiple sound elements. The Encinitas-based company is under the artistic direction of choreographer Yolande Snaith.
• La Paloma Theatre, 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $10, $9. Call 760-436-SHOW (7469).
“Woman in Gold,” “While We’re Young,” Friday Midnight Movie, “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
• JFS Coastal Club, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 2, Temple Solel, 3575 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Activities free, lunch: $7. Reserve for lunch by noon Monday, June 1, to 858-674-1123.
Seniors 60-plus, choose from several different activities: 10 a.m., Flexibility and Fitness Yoga with Danyll; 11 a.m., program; noon, a healthy lunch is served; at 1 p.m. see a film.
• Tuesday Movie, 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 2, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free.
County libraries can’t publicize titles of free screenings; for info, call 760-753-7376, ext. 03.
• Wednesdays@Noon: free concert, noon Wednesday, June 3, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Visit www.Encinitasca.gov/WedNoon, call 760-633-2746.