July schedule for SD Botanic Garden includes sculpture, bugs and hydroponics
The San Diego Botanic Garden in Encinitas offers these July 2014 events & classes. Visit www.sdbgarden.org:
• Sculpture in the Garden. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, July 2014 – April 2015. Free with paid admission or membership. This unique exhibition showcases sculptures from 33 talented artists set against the beautiful backdrop of the San Diego Botanic Garden. Take a self-guided tour with the Garden’s Sculpture Map.
• Thursday Family Fun Nights. 4:30-8 p.m. Thursdays, July 10, 17, 24 and 31. Free with paid admission or membership. Pack up the kids and enjoy some outdoor fun in the Hamilton Children’s Garden. Live, kid-friendly entertainment is provided from 6-7 p.m.: July 10, YMCA Expressions Dance Team; July 17, Hullabaloo (a San Diego favorite!); July 24, Clint Perry & the Boo Hoo Crew; July 31, Puppet Potpourri: Dragons, Damsels and “Gourdian” Angels.
• Insect Festival. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday & Sunday, July 12-13. Free with paid admission or membership. This one-of-a-kind festival is sure to intrigue bug devotees of all ages, with thousands of fascinating creepy-crawlies including live lizards, snakes and the famous Madagascar hissing cockroaches! The Insect Festival is sponsored by the County of San Diego Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures, K&M Pest Solutions and the San Diego Botanic Garden.
• Art in the Garden: Summer Camp for Kids with Abrakadoodle. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday, July 14-18; July 21-25; July 28 – Aug. 1; cost is $189 per week nonmembers, $179 per week for garden members. Children ages 7-12 are invited to create art and experience the beauty of nature at the garden. Each day, campers visit a different part of the garden to explore rain forests, waterfalls, giant bamboo, dragon trees, and lily ponds, then create paintings, drawings, sculptures and prints inspired by their outdoor adventures. Info: https://www.abrakadoodle.com/ca-north-county-san-diego-register.
• Stress Management and Healing Classes. 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, July 17 and 31; cost $36 per class for nonmembers, $30 for garden members. Register one week before the class you wish to attend. Learn to reduce stress and release daily tension with Reiki Master May-Joy Neuru in the beautiful environment of the Walled Garden at San Diego Botanic Garden.
• Photoshop in the Garden. 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, July 19. Cost is $71 for nonmembers, $59 for garden members. Register by Friday, July 11. Learn cool effects like layering texture, selective color, black & white, and how to get more out of your image using Photoshop Elements. Bring your camera and laptop with Adobe Photoshop Elements.
• Build Your Own Hydroponic Summer Garden. 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, July 19. Cost is $90 nonmembers, $75 for garden members. Learn the principles of the hydroponic wick method by building your own sustainable garden to take home.