Gala, waterwise workshop, crafts among September events at San Diego Botanic Garden
San Diego Botanic Garden, at 230 Quail Gardens Drive in Encinitas, offers these events and classes in September 2014. Visit www.sdbgarden.org:
• Sculpture in the Garden. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, now through April 2015. Free with paid admission or membership. This unique exhibition showcases sculptures from 33 talented artists set against the beautiful backdrop of the San Diego Botanic Garden. Take a self-guided tour with the Garden’s Sculpture Map.
• Gala in the Garden: Right in Our Own Backyard. 5-9:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 6. Tickets $200 per person. The San Diego Botanic Garden’s annual fundraiser honors Eric Larson, executive director of the San Diego County Farm Bureau. Guests have the opportunity to explore the Garden’s trails, enjoy fine wine, craft beer and the best dishes from local restaurants. Live entertainment and exquisite floral designs are also part of the festivities.
• What’s In My Backyard Garden: A Musical Experience. 10-11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 6-Saturday, Oct. 11. Free with paid admission or membership. This six-week music education program is designed to encourage children ages 3-6 to explore their home environment and make new discoveries. Through music, movement, dance, storytelling and instruments children will unearth nature’s creatures living right in their own backyard.
• Composting Workshop. 10 a.m.-noon Sept. 13. Free with paid admission or membership. Students will learn the basics of backyard composting and vermicomposting (composting without worms). Using trial-tested advice and demonstrations our expert educators will teach all you need to know to get started with a bin that fits your needs and lifestyle. Presented by the Solana Center for Recycling.
• WaterSmart Landscape Makeover Series: Saving Water One Zone at a Time. Saturdays, Sept. 13 and Sept. 27. Turn your traditional turf yard into a WaterSmart landscape. Presented by San Diego Botanic Garden, San Diego County Water Authority and DeLorenzo International. Info: Contact Angela Benson of DeLorenzo International at 619-295-5115, ext. 221 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Succulent Wreath Class. 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Sept. 16. Garden members $60, non-members $72 per class. Fee includes materials. Learn the art of making a beautiful succulent wreath from the San Diego Botanic Garden’s Wreath Team.
• New Plants for Southern California. Lecture and Plant Sale. 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, Sept. 20. Garden members $10, non-members $12. Register by Sept. 12. Wendy Proud of Mountain States Wholesale Nursery introduces participants to some exciting plants for our dry Southern California landscapes. New to Southern California, these plants have been used in low-water areas like Arizona. Plant sale will follow her presentation.
• Photo Workshop — Focus on Orchids. 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Sept. 20. Garden members $59, non-members $71. Register by Sept. 12. Bob Bretell has been shooting orchids for 20 years and will demystify the frustrations many camera enthusiasts have capturing these exotic flowers on digital. During this workshop, participants will learn how to look for and create the “sweet light” that will make their photos jump off the page. All levels are welcome.
• Artists’ Favorites Art Show: Botanical Artists Guild of Southern California. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, Sept. 21-Nov. 16. Free with paid admission or garden membership. These beautiful and unbelievably detailed works of art depicting different plant species — several found in the San Diego Botanic Garden — have been carefully selected by Botanical Artists Guild members. Forty-three works representing 18 different artists will be on view from Sept. 21- Nov. 6. An Artists’ Reception from 4:30-7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, is free to the public.